The English Department offers a four-year accredited Bachelor Degree program in Education in teaching English as Foreign Language. Students become proficient in teaching English to second-language learners. In today’s globalized world, there is an increasing demand for English language teachers across the UAE and the region. English is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world and it is already becoming the international language of the world. Knowledge of its literature, and the ability to read, analyze, criticize, and write in English, would give you a wide range of skills which may be used in your future career. The program is accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
Program Educational Objectives
The TEFL program, through a host of carefully studied and analyzed courses, aims to achieve the following objectives:
1 Develop students’ language proficiency skills
2 Develop students’ knowledge of language and linguistics
3 Develop students’ educational and instructional skills
4 Develop students’ research skills
5 Develop students’ awareness of the native and target culture and literature
At the end of the program, students are expected to:
- Use English language proficiently
- Create suitable conditions for teaching/learning a foreign language
- Evaluate current theories, methods, and issues in the field of language learning, teaching and testing
- Evaluate EFL course books, learning activities and/or other supplementary materials
- Use a variety of teaching aids and modern technology in the language classroom
- Identify and analyze the characteristics of the learner’s language development
- Analyze and identify learners’ learning strategies
- Base classroom teaching practices on theoretical principles
- Analyze various systems (sound, grammar, etc.) of the English language
- Show an awareness of English literature and culture
- Carry out basic research in English language teaching
- Write and implement effective lesson plans
- Associate with Arabic and Islamic culture and literature
Graduates of the program are qualified to utilize their knowledge and competencies in the following areas:
- Higher education institutions, including universities and community colleges
- Private and government training agencies
- Schools and school districts
- Industry, health, army and government agencies, and business corporations
- Training and educational software development agencies
- Media centers
- Learning resource centers, including libraries
- Evaluation, performance assessment and quality assurance agencies Graduates are qualified to assume responsibility in the following positions:
- Instructional designer
- Training program designer and manager
- Performance technology specialist
- Training and educational software designer and developer
- Multimedia professional materials developer and designer
- Distance learning program designer and manager
- Computer instructor
- School district technology expert and coordinator
- Media specialist
- Technology project manager
- Software, technology and program evaluator
- Certified UAE secondary school certificate or its equivalent, with a minimum average grade 60 percent.
- English proficiency certificate with a minimum score of 500 for TOEFL, 580 for TOEIC, or 5.0 for IELTS.
The Bachelor of Education in Teaching English as a Foreign Language is awarded upon the fulfillment of the following:
A minimum of 126 credits, including the following, is required:
1. A minimum of general education courses (24 credits).
a. University required courses (15 credits).
b. University elective courses (9 credits).
2. Faculty Required Courses (32 Courses)
a. A minimum of college required courses (24 credits).
b. A minimum of department courses (78 credits).
c. Department required courses (66 credits).
d. Department elective courses (12 credits).
• Successful completion of a practicum course (9 credits)
• A final CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) of not less than 2.0